sh.sePublications
Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • harvard-anglia-ruskin-university
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Den ledande kvinnan: En studie av ledarskapsbeteenden i fyra olika branscher
Södertörn University, School of Business Studies.
Södertörn University, School of Business Studies.
2005 (Swedish)Independent thesis Advanced level (degree of Master (One Year)), 10 credits / 15 HE creditsStudent thesis
Abstract [en]

The debate about women and equality is a very burning issue in the Swedish society today. There are a lot of articles, TV-programs, books and web sites treating the position of female leaders today. There are also a lot of myths strongly attached to our minds hindering the equalization process between men and women.

The main purpose of our study was to look at women as leaders and identify potential tendencies in businesses sectors dominated by mainly men or women. We also wanted to find out whether leadership behavior is more or less oriented towards relations- or task in any of the chosen sectors. It was even in our interest to see if our chosen respondents supported the myths in our society about male and female qualities.

We interviewed 20 women in four different sectors, two dominated by men (Computer/It, Transport) and two dominated by women (School, Healthcare). These leaders were also asked to fill in questionnaires to give the study a quantifiable result in their behavior orientation.

The results of our study showed that there are no significant tendencies in the leadership between the female dominated and male dominated sectors. Only the leaders in the school sector showed the same degree of relation and task orientation in their behavior. Leaders in the other three sectors showed a slightly bigger degree of orientation towards relations. We also found out that about 55% of our respondents thinks that there are really differences in behavior and qualities between men and women, the other 45% claimed that these differences are only myths existing in our head and that the behavior you choose is completely based on a persons personality.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
Huddinge: Institutionen för ekonomi och företagande , 2005. , p. 59
Keywords [en]
Business studies
Keywords [sv]
Företagsekonomi, Ledarskap, ledarskapsbeteenden, ledarstil
National Category
Business Administration
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:sh:diva-136OAI: oai:DiVA.org:sh-136DiVA, id: diva2:15431
Subject / course
Business Studies
Presentation
(English)
Uppsok
Social and Behavioural Science, Law
Examiners
Available from: 2005-06-09 Created: 2005-06-09 Last updated: 2018-06-25

Open Access in DiVA

No full text in DiVA

By organisation
School of Business Studies
Business Administration

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

urn-nbn

Altmetric score

urn-nbn
Total: 515 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • harvard-anglia-ruskin-university
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf